Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Firefighter Waves To President Barack Obama And Gets Suspended



CLEVELAND, OH -- A local firefighter says he has accepted his six-month suspension from his role in the Cleveland Firefighters Memorial Pipes and Drum Corp for giving President Barack Obama a nod and wave during last week's inaugural parade in Washington, D.C.

Drum Major and Cleveland Heights fire inspector John Coleman spoke exclusively to NewsChannel5's Duane Pohlman about his violation.

Coleman has been with the pipes and drums for 17 years and said he doesn't want to bring negativity or shame to the band.

"We returned from Washington and in the parking lot in the bus, I was told I was receiving a six month suspension for conduct unbecoming the band," Coleman said.

He said there was a lot of hard work by the band in Washington and it was a great moment.

"I just was told this was a military parade and I was not to salute the president, which I did not and I happened to glance over at the booth and see if the president was even in the booth reviewing," he said. "Contact was made with our eyes both together and he smiled and waived at the band and just as a gesture, I nodded my head. I gave him a slight wave and went on."

Coleman said he doesn't feel he did anything wrong.

"With the president, I could not just ignore him," he said.

Coleman teared up when talking about the incident, saying he was hurt by the suspension.

Bandleader Pipe Major Mike Engle said Coleman violated the proper decorum required of a military parade.

Engle says other pipe bands complained about the behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment